So it was omelette night last night on account of having no other choice, also I wanted to see if I could salvage anything from the post mugged eggs that broke, These were the individually wrapped eggs that where quite pricey. I bought them because eggs, like chickens here are very cheap, and everywhere, I saw loads of people in the supermarket buying several hundred eggs at a time. Most of the eggs come in a minimum of 12 but often 48 or bigger packs, they don’t seem to do organic or free range that I can tell, but they do have vitamin enhanced, which sounds dodgey. So when I saw these more expensive individual wrapped eggs in packs of 4, I assumed they were going to be special, that was until last night when I went to crack one open and got the shock of my life
I should have realised the clue is in the name, it’s a century egg, named so because it’s a raw egg that’s been pickled/preserved for 100 years, however they seem to have got the process down to a few weeks through the use of modern technology. It was like a badly coloured hard boiled egg that smelt awful, no use for an omelette, but actually quite tasty.
Today I was up early and marched miles to a bus stop to head off to the chandlers, spent loads, and was quite pleased to get nearly everything I needed. Walking back to the bus station, I passed the entrance to the town marina, so popped in to see what it looked like, I had heard most of the pontoons were damaged or missing and it had long been closed. I took the picture below and can confirm the pontoons don’t look great.
So back to work, need to get the nav lights working, last night when I opened the port red bow light it started to crumble in my hand, I could see badly corroded connections inside so left it and bought a new lamp housing today, I fitted it, and had to re-jig the wiring as it’s been installed rather badly at some point. Anyway it still didn’t work, which didn’t surprise me, a dive into the chain locker found a lot of corrosion on the connecters that supply the power
So I cleaned these up, the Ancor (brand name, nothing to do with anchors) high spec cable was rusted through, and cracking. I thought that wasn’t meant to happen with pre tinned wire, still a bit of scrubbing and we were up and running. One day I will redo all of this as Im not happy with the cable and its routing.
I do have a problem that the starboard light can be seen all over the show, I suspect the problem is they have used the wrong bulb, I’m going to acquire the right bulbs before I tackle this.
So tomorrow I’m off to the Mall to pay a silly amount of money for some power tools for the boat, then the lights on the mast are next. I have also run out of food and drink, there are no shops within 30 mins walk of the boat.